Victim seriously wounded in Megiddo terror bombing has yet to receive state support
The family of an Israeli man who was seriously injured in a terror bombing at Megiddo Junction in northern Israel earlier this month said they have yet to receive official word from state authorities regarding support for his recovery.
Victims of acts of terrorism receive funding from the government to cover social and medical costs, as well as stipends and disability pensions where relevant.
Speaking to Channel 12 on Tuesday, the father of Shareef ad-Din Hamaishe, 21, said he received one call after the incident telling him to prepare for a telephone conversation with President Isaac Herzog, but that call never came. completed. The family is currently covering hospital and treatment costs for Hamaishe, who is still hospitalized in the neurosurgery department at the Rambam Medical Center in Haifa, about two weeks after the bombing.
The report did not explain why Hamaishe’s treatments are not covered by health insurance, which is universal in Israel.
Hamaishe, from the Arab village of Salem, suffered serious head injuries in the March 13 attack, in which a bomb planted on the side of the Route 65 highway near the Megiddo Junction exploded while he was driving his vehicle. His car, which had been hit by shrapnel, was about 30 meters (98 feet) away from the device.
The Israeli military suspects the attack was carried out by a Hezbollah terrorist who climbed over the Lebanese border fence using a ladder.
Hamaishe recounted the bombing to Channel 12 from his hospital room, his eyes covered with bandages, telling the network he remembered pressing the gas pedal and then exploding. He said he tried to stop the vehicle but could no longer see. Hamaishe said he “took the seat belt and tried to open the door but he felt resistance,” after which he put the vehicle in neutral and used the handbrake to slowly stop the car.
His family hopes that Hamaishe will return to his university studies in an engineering program in the near future.
Israeli forces shot near the border with Lebanon several hours after the explosion of the suspected terrorist in the bombing. He was armed with a high explosive belt at the time.
The IDF said it expects the ongoing construction work to build a wall along the northern border to replace an aging fence to be completed within two years.
The IDF has said the suspect planted the bomb, possibly on behalf of Iran-backed Hezbollah, which maintains tight control over southern Lebanon. The possibility that the attack was a joint effort between a Palestinian faction in Lebanon and Hezbollah was also being considered by the IDF.
The bomb itself was considered unusual according to the IDF, and did not appear to be similar to explosive devices used by the Palestinians in recent months.
Hezbollah has long been the IDF’s most significant enemy on Israel’s borders, with an estimated arsenal of nearly 150,000 rockets and missiles that can reach anywhere in Israel.